The syllabus shall be distributed in every course during the first week of the course.
A syllabus must include the following information, although the precise order is variable and items need not be arranged in any set number of categories:
1. The course prefix and number, catalog description, number of course units, and prerequisites (or co-requisites). For cross-listed courses all applicable prefixes and course numbers should be on the syllabus.
2. The instructor's name, office address, College email address and office hours by specified times or by appointment.
3. A clear listing of all required materials (such as books, lab manuals, study guides, and supplies). A supplemental listing of recommended readings may also be appended.
4. Course requirements (including assignments, tests and examinations, projects, term papers, field trips, laboratory experiences, etc.).
5. A purpose statement including a thoughtful, reflective statement as to why the course exists, and if applicable the rationale for cross-listing the course. It must also indicate learning goals and learning activities and how they relate to each other. Performance goals can be referenced to specific state or accreditation standards as appropriate and should be defined in terms of specific skills students should acquire.
6. A chronological listing of topics covered with dates due for assignments, examinations, field trips, and/or laboratory experiences. This section may include a disclaimer about precise dates and mention of the possibilities of unannounced quizzes, minor changes in requirements, and the like.
7. Criteria for determining final grades. These include the relative value of graded assignments, formulae for computing grades, and, if applicable, rubrics for evaluating other work. However, it may be appropriate to inform students that more precise information on assignments and how they are to be graded will be given out later in the course. The College Final Examination Policy can be found here: http://www.tcnj.edu/~academic/policy/finalevaluations.htm
8. A statement of adherence to TCNJ’s attendance policy with the text appended or URL for the website (http://www.tcnj.edu/~recreg/policies/attendance.html)
9. A statement of adherence to TCNJ’s academic integrity policy with the URL for the website (http://www.tcnj.edu/~academic/policy/integrity.html).
10, A statement of adherence to TCNJ’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) policy with the URL for the website http://policies.tcnj.edu/policies/viewPolicy.php?docId=8082 ).
A model template for the syllabus is available at:
Recommended by Committee on Academic Programs; Approved by Provost, spring, 2010