Financial information for the two-week Maymester trip to the Galapagos Islands and Ecuador:
Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
Estimated costs for the 2013 trip:
- Application fee:
Collected at the time that the student submits formal application to the program. (The application fee will be refunded to students not accepted into the program.)
- Program fee:
This fee is paid directly to TCNJ to cover student costs associated with the trip. It includes lodging, most meals, transportation in Ecuador (flight to the islands from the mainland, cruise ship, tour buses, and hotel transfers), naturalists and guides, and Galapagos National Park entrance fees. (All additional costs are paid directly by the student. This fee does not include tuition or the application fee.)
- Additional costs associated with the program:
The student is responsible for paying directly for the following costs associated with the program: airfare from Newark to Quito, mandatory travel insurance, and lunch and museum entrance fees for first day in Quito.
- Tuition for 0.5 course units in Maymester:
The cost of the 0.5 course units associated with the Spring semester portion of the course will be included in your regular tuition paid for Spring semester. The figure below is the estimated cost of tuition for the 0.5 course units during Maymester. (Rate is for current in-state TCNJ students.)
TOTAL: $ 6,990
This estimated total ($6,990) includes all transportation, housing, meals, tips, insurance and fees (portal to portal from Newark airport). It does not include costs associated with transportation to Newark airport, meals in the US, immunizations, passports, books, alcoholic beverages, and souvenirs.
Please note: All costs presented above are estimates only and are subject to change.
Additional fees may apply to participants who are not residents of New Jersey or who currently are not TCNJ students.
Payment Schedule for the 2013 trip (tentative):
- February 29, 2012 – Applications available.
(Students will be accepted into the program on a on a rolling basis. After an applicant has been accepted into the program, the student will have three weeks to pay a $500 deposit.)
- April 13, 2012 – Priority application deadline.
(Program fee "locked in" at $4,800 for applications received by this date.)
- September 2012 – Program fee payment due ($1,000 ). Ticket for flight to Quito must be purchased (~$750).
- December 2012 – Program fee payment due ($1,500).
- February 2013 – Balance of program fee to TCNJ due ($1,800).
- March 2013 – Tuition payment for Maymester due (~$1,000).
Financial Aid and Scholarship Information:
- In order to receive financial aid from public sources, a student would need to be enrolled in 1.5 course units (6 semester hours) over the course of the summer. The Galapagos course is only 0.5 course units. Aid to eligible students would be provided only after the student had enrolled in the full 1.5 course units.
- If a student is able to obtain private scholarship funds, these could be applied to the cost of the trip. However, there are no TCNJ-sponsored scholarships that would be eligible.