Terminal Degree Equivalency
Qualification for advancement in rank is contingent
upon a faculty member's having the requisite experience and the appropriate
terminal degree. Faculty members who do not possess the appropriate terminal
degree can be considered for advancement in rank only after their credentials
are judged equivalent to the appropriate terminal degree. The steps for
determining terminal degree equivalency are:
- The faculty member indicates to the chair that
he or she wishes to establish terminal degree equivalency.
- The department contacts the appropriate professional
organization and/or accrediting body soliciting the names of consultants
qualified to judge equivalency.
- The department selects three consultants and
charges each with reviewing the credentials of the faculty member and presenting
their findings in a written evaluation.
- The department reviews the consultants' reports
and makes its recommendation on equivalency in writing to the dean of the
- The dean reviews all reports and recommendations
and makes a recommendation on equivalency in writing to the Vice President
for Academic Affairs.
- The Vice President for Academic Affairs indicates
in writing to the faculty member, the department, and the dean whether
equivalency has been established.
- The above steps must be completed and a decision
reached regarding equivalency prior to the deadline for submission of applications
for promotion in a given year.
return to Faculty Handbook
table of contents