TCNJ Gamma Sigma Epsilon
Constitution and Bylaws of the Sigma Beta Chapter
The organization shall be known as the Sigma Beta chapter of Gamma Sigma Epsilon, National Chemistry Honor Society, at The College of New Jersey, Ewing, New Jersey.
The purpose of this organization shall be to recognize outstanding students demonstrating exceptional ability and interest in the field of chemistry. It aims to promote professionalism and scholarship in chemistry and the general welfare of its members.
- It is hereby acknowledged that Sigma Beta chapter of Gamma Sigma Epsilon, National Chemistry Honor Society insures that the policies and practices pertaining to the membership of our organization do not discriminate based on sex, race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, marital status, handicap, age and lifestyle.
- The following criteria shall be used as guideline requirements for membership
- Active membership of the Chapter shall be composed of students who
- have completed the requirements set forth by the TCNJ Chemistry Department through junior year
- have a minimum grade point average of 3.5 in all chemistry courses place within the top 25% of their cohort.
- Active membership of the Chapter shall be composed of students who
- Transfer students shall be eligible for membership after one semester at The College of New Jersey in which they have taken one chemistry course if they also meet the requirements for membership in Article 3, section A.1.
- A graduating senior who academic record in chemistry is satisfactory for the preceding year, but whose overall scholastic average is slightly below that required for membership, may be elected to membership by special recommendation of Chemistry faculty and majority vote of the Chapter members.
- Outstanding alumni and faculty may be elected to membership as Honorary Members.
- Candidates for membership must present a letter of recommendation from at least one faculty member (or shall be recommended for membership by a chemistry faculty member).
- Associate membership of the Chapter shall be composed of students who
- are chemistry majors
- Candidates nominated for membership shall be chosen at least once a year.
- Candidates shall apply for membership by the third week of the spring semester by filling out the membership form with a transcript and $25.
- Upon acceptance, candidates for membership shall receive a written invitation to become a member of the local chapter and must declare their intentions to accept or decline in writing.
- Prior to the election of new members, the Recorder (secretary) shall present a list of all candidates who have been nominated and who meet the requirement of Article 3, Section A.
- A Candidate must receive a majority vote of a quorum of 50% of the current active members present at the meeting called for the purpose of electing new members. An active member may vote by absentee ballot; it is the responsibility of the absent member to submit an absentee ballot to the Recorder prior to the vote in question.
- Any chemistry major can join the chemistry honor society upon filling out an associate membership form (associate members do not pay the membership dues).
- Continued inducted membership is contingent upon favorable academic performance. To remain an active status, a member must maintain a 3.5 GPA in chemistry.
- To retain active status, both inducted and associate members must attend at least one meeting each semester. An inactive member will regain active status upon attending two consecutive meetings.
- Inducted members of the local chapter who are found guilty of conduct unworthy of the high standards of the Society by majority action of the local chapter members may be recommended to the National Executive Council for expulsion.
- Associate membership terminates upon graduation from TCNJ whereas the inducted membership is valid for life.
- The officers of the society and their duties shall be the following:
- The Grand Alchemist (or President) shall preside at all meetings, shall appoint all committees, and act as an ex-officio member of these committees.
- The Alchemist’s Apprentice (or Vice-President) shall preside over meetings in the absence of the Grand Alchemist, and shall plan programs in conjunction with Faculty Advisor and other officers.
- The Recorder of Keeper of Formulas (or Secretary) shall keep all records and papers pertinent to the chapter including minutes of meetings, roll of members, list of eligible perspective members, all correspondences, and annual historical account of the chapter's activities.
- The Keeper of Solvents (or Treasurer) shall be responsible for the funds an finances of the chapter
- The Goggle Inspector (or Sergeant-at-Arms) shall be responsible for maintaining order during meetings and chapter functions.
- Positions stated in Article IV, Secction A constitute the Executive Board.
- The election of officers shall be by secret ballot at the last meeting of the academic year, which shall take place in April.
- Term of office shall be one year, starting in April. However, if an officer is placed in a position sometime during the year, the term of office is only until the next election.
- Both inducted and associate members are able to participate in the election process, but only inducted members are able to run for office.
- If the office of Grand Alchemist should become vacant, the duties of that office shall be assumed by the Alchemist's Apprentice. Special elections shall be held to fill all other unexpired terms of officers, which become vacant for any reason. The Recorder shall advise all members of the intended special election at least one week in advance of the date set for the election.
- If an Executive Board member is found by the Active Membership and/or the remainder of the Executive Board not fulfilling their duties, the Executive Board can remove that individual by a 2/3 vote of the members at a meeting and the Executive Board. Elections shall be held to fill the position. The same procedure shall be upheld if an Executive Board member resigns.
- Meetings shall be held at the call of the officers, members, or Faculty Advisor whenever necessary for the purpose of conducting business, for election of new members, or for special programs, but not less than once per semester.
- A quorum consisting of 50% of the active membership shall be required to conduct business.
- The Executive Board is comprised of those members stated in Article IV, Section A. They will meet at the discretion of the President.
- Each new member, at time of pledging, shall pay the initiation fee required by the National Office ($15) plus a one-time local chapter fee of $10. These fees shall fund the induction ceremony and other events designed specifically for the inducted members. Other special assessments may be made by a majority vote of the inducted members.
- Associate members shall not be responsible for initiation fees. Excluding events mentioned in Article 6, Section A, Gamma Sigma Epsilon shall be funded by the Student Finance Board and fundraising endeavors.
- Amendments to these Bylaws must be presented at a regular meeting of the chapter and shall be voted on at the next regular meeting. Amendments must be approved by a 2/3 vote of the active members of the chapter. It is the duty of the Recorder to see that all members are acquainted with the proposed amendments well in advance of the date scheduled for the voting.
- No chapter may pass a local bylaw that conflicts with the National Constitution and Bylaws of the Society.
- Amendments shall be submitted to the Student Government Association for review on a yearly basis.
This chapter shall be under the direction of the Executive Council of the Gamma Sigma Epsilon National Chemistry Honorary. Chapter members shall uphold the high academic standards, rules and regulations of The College of New Jersey. It shall be the duty of each member to participate in the activities of the local chapter and to promote among non-members the high scholastic standards necessary for membership.
Advisors shall be selected from any full time chemistry faculty or staff. The Executive Board shall approve any candidate for this position. Advisor may be terminated by a majority vote of active members (50% + 1).
TCNJ GSE - Copyright © 2004. Site designed by S. Kim. All rights reserved. Updated: