TCNJ Library Laptop Loaner Program Policy
The Library hosts the Laptop Loaner Program to support and further enhance students’ educational pursuits. Several Dell laptop computers, each with A/C adapter, and optional Ethernet cable and carrying case, are available to TCNJ Library users for a restricted number of hours, for in-house use only. Laptops come equipped with Windows XP, Microsoft Office and other software typically found on lab computers. Access to SOCS, the TCNJ Library catalog, and library databases is included. A borrower is financially responsible for the full replacement cost of a laptop computer and peripherals if lost, damaged, or stolen during the checkout period.
The program is available to current students and faculty/staff of The College of New Jersey (including retired faculty members).
- Laptops are loaned on a first-come first-served basis for in-house use only during the Library’s operating hours (excluding extended study hours). Advanced reservations are not available.
- Laptops may not be borrowed overnight and may not be removed from the Library.
- When all laptops are in use, a person may place a hold for the next computer available.
- Only one laptop at a time may be borrowed by an individual.
Period of loan:
- Loan period: 3 hours
- Renewal period: 3 hours
- Maximum no. of renewals: 1 (if there is no one waiting)
- Loaning ceases 1 hour prior to the scheduled Library closing time; all checked-out laptops must be returned to Access Services one-half hour before the Library closes.
- Late fees: $10.00 per hour with no grace period available, up to a maximum of $240. After 24 hours of being late the laptop is considered lost.
- Lost or stolen laptop: $1,400. (This price includes all accessories.) If returned within 24
-hours, the lost laptop charge will be lifted, but the $240 late fee obligation, or any portion thereof, plus any applicable repair costs will remain.
- Damaged laptop: The full cost of repairs will be assessed by an IT technician, (up to a maximum of $1,400.)
- Lost or damaged accessories:
- Ethernet cable: $15.00.
- A/C adapter: $65.00.
- Carrying case: $30.00.
- Personal software may not be loaded onto the laptop computer at any time.
- Users must save work into a removable device; data will be purged when the system is turned off.
The Library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to, or from, a user’s disk or network account.
rev. May 16 , 2006