Independent Study Agreement
Dr. Janet A. Morrison and _________________________________________
The student and professor agree on the following guidelines for Independent Study:
1. The research project will be of mutual interest and agreed upon through exploration of the student's interest in conversation before the Independent Study begins.
2. The research will be carried out independently by the student, with guidance by the professor. This means that the student carries the main responsibility for all aspects of the research, including but not limited to
3. The professor will be available for guidance and help during regularly scheduled meeting times, and also as needed (it is important to schedule extra time in advance).
4. The student will keep an organized lab notebook, with entries for every activity undertaken, all data, and weekly entries even if there is no activity.
5. Upon completion of the project the student will leave the originals of all data and all pertinent computer files with the professor.
6. The student is required to attend all Biology Department seminars unless there is a conflict with another class scheduled in that time slot.
If the student meets all responsibilities and produces a high quality study, then the grade will be an A (this includes presenting at a scientific meeting if it can be arranged).
The final grade for Independent Study will be recorded only after the research is complete. Thus, a grade of IP (In Progress) may be entered first.
__________ submitting a brief proposal to Records and Registration
__________ preparing a comprehensive proposal (including literature review, project justification, and study design) :
__________ obtaining permission to use field sites, if applicable :
__________ determining needed materials :
__________ collecting data in a timely manner :
__________ analyzing data :
__________ writing a research paper based on the results of the study :
__________ preparing and presenting either a talk or a poster at TCNJ :
__________ and also at a scientific meeting, if it can be arranged :
(signature of professor) (date) (signature of student) (date)