Luria-Bertani (LB) Broth
Reagents (for 1L):
- Tryptone (Bacto, 0123-01-1) – 10g
- Yeast Extract (Fluka, 70161) – 5g
- NaCl (Fisher, BP358-212) – 10g
- DI. Water – 1L
- Enough Screw Top Containers to hold the entire volume
- Start by adding approximately half of the volume of DI water and a stir bar to an appropriately sized Erlenmeyer flask.
- Add the yeast extract, NaCl, and tryptone to the water, stirring the entire time. Make sure to add the tryptone slowly, as this tends to clump.
- Once those reagents have been completely dissolved, add the remaining volume of DI water to the solution.
- Distribute the solution into smaller glass jars. The subsequent containers should not be filled above half way. These multiple containers will prevent contamination of the entire stock.
- Container caps should NOT be screwed on before autoclaving. Just place the cap on top of the container and wrap the top with foil. (NOTE: If caps are screwed onto containers, pressure from autoclaving may cause the containers to burst.)
- Autoclave for 30-60 minutes using a liquid cycle.
- Immediately tighten caps when autoclaving has completed.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then store at 4°C, until needed.