NOTE: OP50 is the bacteria used to seed NGM Plates.
- Disposable Pipet Tips
- LB Plates
- Stock Plate of OP50
- Wear gloves while performing this procedure.
- Pick a small amount of OP50 from an old, stock plate of the bacteria using a pipet tip. (Figure 1)
- Spread the bacteria back and forth onto a small area of new plate. Make sure that you use a light touch so you don't slice the agar. (Figure 2)
- Use a new pipet tip and streak the newly- added bacteria outwards from an area near the end of the initial streak.
- Repeat the process one more time using a new pipet tip. See the figure below for the final streaking pattern. (Figure 3)
- Grow overnight at 37°C.
- Remove from incubator in the morning and store the new OP50 plate(s) at 4°C. They will be good for a month or two, or if they become contaminated.
Pick the bacteria off of a stock plate using a disposable pipet tip.
Spread the bacteria on the new LB Plate using a light touch.
Streaking patern of the new OP50 plate.