October 31, 2007 Minutes
Present: Bob Anderson, Ed Conjura, Orlando Hernandez, Paula Maas, Teresa Nakra, Dave Reimer, John Ruscio, Sharon Sherman, Ursula Wolz
Sharon Sherman recorded the minutes.
- The meeting was called to order by Ed Conjura at 3:30 p.m.
- QRAC members introduced themselves and welcomed John Ruscio to the committee.
- Ed reported that he contacted Dan Phillips and asked for the latest edits and notes from the QR Course Application Form. Ed plans to have an updated draft by the next meeting.
- Teresa Nakra provided a clean copy of the definition of QR. She indicated the words “…introduced to” would be replaced by “…further students’ knowledge and understanding of mathematical and quantitative modes of thought.”
- After November 14, Bob Anderson will present the “Perfect World” two-page report to Beth Paul.
- Ursula Wolz discussed her trip to Microsoft for a workshop on computational reasoning. She said: (1) Inquiry based learning is on top of the list; (2) Formulaic vs. functional solutions to problems was discussed. She attended a conference on Serious Games and provided a brief report. With Teresa Nakra and Kim Pearson she visited the MIT Media Lab. She discussed the work of their Center for New Civic Media, which strives to build a scientifically literate community.
- Teresa Nakra and Paula Maas reported on changes in the Visionary document. Following the report, the whole committee worked together to achieve a final product.
- The meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.