Library User Guide for Students
How do I get assistance using the Library or the Internet?
- Consult with a librarian in person at the Reference Desk.
- Call the Reference Desk at (609) 771-2417.
- Use the email "Ask A Librarian" service.
How do I use a computer on campus?
- Use a kiosk computer to get your username and password for your Novell account and TCNJ email (Unix account).
How do I check out and renew books?
- Use your TCNJ ID to check out books at the Access Services Desk located on Level 1.
- Review LibraryBorrowing privileges
- Renew books already checked out using your barcode number on your TCNJ ID at "My Library Account"
How do I make photocopies of print materials?
- Add cash value to your TCNJ ID card using the dispenser at the Access Services Desk located on Level 1, then swipe card at photocopiers.
How do I find books, sound recordings, and videos at TCNJ?
- Search the TCNJ Library Catalog
- If the listing indicates "Status: Not Checked Out" check the "Call Number" (e.g. HV26.D6 W44 1999) given, against Floor Plans & Locations.
- If the listing indicates "Status: Checked Out" click on the "Requests" button, follow the login instructions, and place a "Hold" on the book so you are notified when it is returned.
How do I find articles?
- Select a database by name or subject, and:
- Read the electronic fulltext of the article in the database if it's available, or
- Locate another database that includes the electronic fulltext using the Journal Titles list, or
- Check the TCNJ Library Catalog to learn if the library owns the periodical in print copy and where it's located, then find it in the location indicated and photocopy it.
- If the library does not own the periodical, you can request the article from another library through Interlibrary Loan.
- Check How Do I Find? for more tips on finding articles in scholarly journals, popular magazines, and newspapers.
How do I borrow books or get copies of articles not available at TCNJ?
- Activate your barcode on your TCNJ ID at the Circulation Desk located on Level 1.
- Fill out the online Interlibrary Loan form.
How do I read material that my professor has put on Reserve for my course?
- Review How do I find Class Materials on Reserve instructions, which includes a link to reserve materials by instructor and course.
- Check at the Reserve Desk (the right end of the Circulation Desk) located on Level 1.
How do I find out more about using libraries and the Internet?