Gateway to Graduate School: Faculty-Student Collaboration in Environmental and Model Organism Biology
This merit scholarship and research mentoring program (funded by the National Science Foundation) is designed to motivate and support students from groups that are underrepresented in the biological sciences, in order to prepare them for entry into graduate school and a future career as a research scientist. The first cohort of 10 freshmen joined the GGSB program in the Fall 2010 semester.
GGSB Program Highlights
- First-year research experiences in month-long mini-rotations in six different faculty-student research labs – to explore everything from ecology to physiology to molecular biology.
- Sustained research in one lab group over six semesters, for academic credit.
- A full-time, paid research experience during one summer.
- Generous stipends in the Junior and Senior years.
- A GRE prep course.
- Skills training for graduate school applications.